HM Commission for the Building of Churches
Dissent was on the increase in the first half of the nineteenth century and there was a large increase in the urban population as a result of the Industrial Revolution.
It was a combination of these two factors which contributed to the building of a large number of Established churches in urban areas. The first of two Church Building Acts was passed in 1818 to establish the Church Building Commission which provided grants for new churches. 612 churches had been built as a result of these Acts by 1856.
The Commission did not expect to fully fund new churches but would assist. Other funding was expected to come from the parishes and the remainder from the Church Building Society.
St Matthew’s was one of hundreds of new churches which was built in the first half of the nineteenth century. It received a grant of £2,000 under what was known as the Second Parliamentary Grant. It is known from another grant application that St Matthew’s applied for funding from the Church Building Commission.