Description of the new church
The building of the church was not finally completed until 1857.
J E Smith, the Vestry Clerk of St Margaret and St John the Evangelist, Westminster, described the church in ‘Parochial memorials’ (1892) as follows:
“The chancel is lighted by a bold east window of five lights, and by three windows on the south side and one on the north side, the remainder of that side being occupied by the chancel aisle and vestry. The nave, with its aisles, consists of five bays or arches, and is chiefly lighted from the clerestory and from a large west window which is above the surrounding houses.
The nave and chancel occupying the whole available area of the site lying east and west, but not affording the required accommodation, a third aisle is constructed into the southern arm of the ground, so that the nave has one aisle on the north and two on the south. The principal entrance is on the south side, through the unfinished tower; there are also doors on the west side and on the north-east in St Ann’s Lane.
A carved oak screen, presented by Mr William Gibbs, who was a liberal donor to the funds for the church and its various agencies, divides the second porch from the nave, by which means the aisle is made serviceable as a chapel. All the chancel windows, with those in the east end and the south aisle, were ornamented with coloured glass during the incumbency of the first vicar.”