In 1874, a mission was held at St Matthew’s. [ Insert the following new information here;
This was part of the London Church of England Mission which proved very successful. The Revd William Turle wrote in his reminiscences
‘For many weeks previously, a house to house visitation was carried on, and the objects and purposes of the Mission were explained. All worked with so good a will and with so much care, that when the Mission took place, the church, night after night, was crowded with congregations gathered solely from the district. As a memorial of this Mission, from which we believe some permanent good resulted, it was determined to build the Mission house which has been found so useful.’ 
In 1876, a specially built mission hall was designed by Ernest Lee, and built in Chadwick Street. It was officially opened by the Duke of Westminster on 13 July 1876. It was a two storey building and consisted of a large mission room with several smaller rooms. The building was renovated at a later date and re-named the Trevelyan Hall after the Revd William Trevelyan.
A drawing of the ‘Mission House’ was featured in the Building News of August 11th, 1876 and is shown through this link: www.archiseek.com/2009/1876